Friday, November 14, 2008

Wednesday




Wednesday was the first real Go-Day. As a student at the Triangle Program in Toronto, (Canada's only school for LGBTTI2Q youth and their straight allies) it was pretty damn easy getting the student body involved. One of our teachers weaved it in to our Queer History unit and told the class about it. It was pretty cool.

That night I had group therapy. The group I attend is for queer and questioning youth who are also clients at the mental health clinic where it is hosted. I love Group, it's usually the very best part of my week and has often saved my life. (Both by using the skills we were taught and by telling myself that I just had to make it to Group, just make it to Group.) Unfortunately we found out that the fall session might have to be cut short because there are fewer participants than there were initially, and funding is always tight. I waited until the end of Group to talk about the rally and as always, found a ton of support in my peers and the social workers who run it.

Then I went home and answered emails. I tried to find out more about getting a protest permit, but it proved difficult to find information on it. Luckily on a tip from my teacher I was able to look up the LGBT Liason for the Toronto Police. I also made up smaller versions of the flyer with four to a page, then settled in to try to do some bio and chem.

At this point the event had become hundreds strong!

*To help out the Triangle Program, head to the website. http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/triangle/
Cooks are still needed for the nutrition program, and the budget is ridiculously tight.
*To help out my Group, email me at katyerro[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll give you information. I don't want to directly link anyone because there are confidentiality concerns, k?
*To help out with the protest, check out
http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com/page/Toronto
and
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=34488983610
*To help me out with my homework, email me! Haha, just joking.

No comments: