Friday, November 14, 2008

Why Join the Impact?

To be honest, I got most of my information about Prop 8 and other anti-gay measures from AfterEllen and watching The Ellen DeGeneres Show. I was so sure that none of these propositions would pass, despite the millions of dollars that went towards proving me otherwise. I was also sure that Obama would win the election.

1/2, that ain't bad. Canada's already got same-sex marriage, why should I care?

When I thought about it more, it seemed worse and worse. Yes, there are piles of states that haven't even considered gay marriage, but California in particular took a step forward... and then a huge step back. Arizona? Hello, adoption? That is the nuttiest thing I have ever heard. I believe that if we're working towards equality, that has to include everyone, everywhere.

I heard about the huge protests in California when I was watching Ellen and wished that I could have been there. Then a few days later this article popped up on AfterEllen and I went into a total frenzy. I have never surfed the Internet as quickly as I surfed Tuesday night. As soon as I found out that the Toronto protest had been there and then mysteriously disappeared I decided to take the wheel, but this was not something Toronto could opt out of.

*For more information about the protest, check out
http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com/page/Toronto
and
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=34488983610

No comments: